Friday, January 8, 2010

The Tortoise and the Hare - 27/28 week update.

Well, here I am, heading into the 3rd trimester. I can't believe how quickly this pregnancy has flown by. As the pregnancy progresses, I get little glimpses into their little personalities, and I've recently nicknamed them 'tortoise' and 'hare' based on how different their movements are in utero, and their heartbeats.

'Tortoise' is the boy, only because he's so quiet, and always has been. He's a lot like Maeve in that regard. He moves just enough to let me know that things are ok, but his heartrate rarely goes above 140 these days, and he never seems in a rush. His movements are always slow and gentle. 'Hare' on the other hand, is getting ready to run a marathon. She moves enough for 3 babies, and is literally making me nauseas with her movements these days. She seems to love to move between 10 pm and 2 am, which can make falling asleep a challenge. Sometimes, she literally goes for hours. You can imagine that I'm a little worried about what life will be like when she's on the outside! And, today, her heartbeat was up to 170 as she kicked away during my exam.

I had my GP checkup today and all is well. I'm measuring 37 weeks, so 9-10 weeks ahead of a singleton pregnancy. I honestly can't tell where my uterus ends these days, it just feel like it's everywhere. I'm in to see her every 2 weeks now, so time will really start flying by now.

There's lots to do this month in preparation for our family of 5. A minivan is in our future, a reality that took us awhile to accept. So, hopefully we'll get that in place soon. Brent has also made arrangements through work to be home from February 12th-May 18th, which is great. He'll have to spend some of that time working in the office in Halifax, but at least he won't be a helicopter ride away! We also have a few more baby things to pick up (extra swing, carseat, playpen) but it's coming along. I've starting putting little newborn clothing into Maeve's old dresser, but I still can't quite believe they'll be here in just a couple of months.

2 comments:

  1. I love reading your updates and glad all is going well!

    hare sounds like Alex. he was non stop, and it probably x4 when he was born. hes non stop and naps almost every 2 hours because he wears himself out! I hope he's also an all night sleeper early like mine as well!!! Tortoise I'm sure will be a little prince! :-)
    Best wishes for the time thats coming fast!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad things are going well, Jenn. My boys had noticeable personality differences in the womb. The midwives referred to them as the good twin and the bad twin which I hated. Brennan was always so cooperative when they were trying to find his heartbeat while Myles dodged the dopler. He was evasive right up until delivery! I thought for sure B would be my calm child and M would be a monkey. I thought that until they were about 5 months old. Now quite the opposite is true! Brennan is a holy terror! I can't believe there was a time when I was sure he'd grow up to be a librarian! Stuntman is probably more likely! I hope things continue to go well with your pregnancy. Much love and good wishes from England!! Call me any time.
    Allison

    ReplyDelete