Thursday, February 4, 2010

The not-so-glamorous side of a twin pregnancy.

Everyone always comments how lucky and blessed we are. And they're right; we feel very lucky to be expecting these babies.

But, that doesn't mean it's easy, especially on my body. I've been measuring full-term (compared to a singleton) for the past 2 weeks, and I feel every minute of it. All of the symptoms that come will being full-term are hitting me hard now, and I still have 6-8 weeks to go (if I go to term).

So, just to whine a little bit....

1. Carpal Tunnel Syndrome - I hate you. I hate the constant tingling and numbness, and the disruption to my sleep. Thankfully, my RMT and chiro are great helps in bringing some relief.

2. Tree trunks and cankles - AKA my calves and ankles. At least, that's what they used to be. They're now just a swollen mess. I'm now the proud (?) owner of compression stockings.

3. Stretch marks - The hallmark of many a pregnancy, I now have many "battle scars" to wear with pride.

4. The minivan - see previous post.

5. Shortness of breath - I look forward to being able to climb a set of stairs without sounding like I've run a marathon. Actually, just putting on my shoes is "exercise" these days.

I think I'll stop there for now, although I'm sure there are more.

Like I said, I wouldn't trade this pregnancy for the world, but I can't wait to NOT be pregnant anymore.

4 comments:

  1. Yeah, twin pregnancies definitely aren't glamorous, especially once your belly out-grows maternity clothing like mine did!!! Double all the ordinary aches, moans and worries. The upside is, once they finally arrive safe and sound you'll have two beautiful, precious little people who share such an intimate bond. Sure, there's double the night wakings, twice the diapers, double the breastfeeding duty, and double (or triple) the crying, but there's also that many more smiles, laughs and giggles, two sleeping angels cuddling each other, and a million times more love when you see all three of your kids playing together.

    For a while Neil and I had 3 kids under 2! It can get totally mental, feel like you're stuck in an episode of the Twilight Zone, and definitely have you wishing you could clone yourself at times. Once in a while it can get so crazy at our house the I/we just have to laugh (otherwise we'd cry) but it's the sweet/quiet/funny moments which allow you to survive the madness... that and getting out of the house on a regular basis to escape for some 100% mommy time.

    I'm nervous for what it's going to be like to have a 13 year-old and two 12 year-old girls. Neil is going to be sooooo out-numbered...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I had the perfect advice for you and a solution to all your aches and pains. Having twins is wonderful. Growing them, not so much. You'll fall so in love with those little bundles the second they arrive and you'll forgive them :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. just stumbled across your blog. you look totally awesome for carrying twins... for carrying anything! :) god bless!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Johneen and Allison - you guys are living parallel lives on either side of the pond! Johneen has 3 girls and Allison has 3 boys!

    Christine - thanks so much for the lovely comment!

    ReplyDelete